Test drive our new Entrepreneurship WebSeries Channel with a 30 day free trial. Click ‘Register Now’ to learn more. Channel subscriptions start at $39/month and $279/year.
On Tuesday July 12 at 1:00PM ET, we’re meeting with Rhonda Carniol, Member, Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Law, to discuss top-of-mind legal concerns that every startup or entrepreneurial venture should be keenly aware of. Whether you’re in the earliest stages of development or have already launched a product or service, this is an event you won’t want to miss.
In this fast-paced session, we’ll have a close in-depth look at the following six legal issues:
- How to protect your personal assets by doing business as a corporate entity, whether it be an LLC, an S corp or a C corp.
- Ways to develop and protect your brand and your intellectual property—trademarks, copyrights and patents. Discuss the importance of your brand as what differentiates your business and makes it unique.
- How to create agreements with independent contractors. By law if you have no agreement, the independent contractor usually owns what they provide you and you have a license to it. You must include specific “work made for hire” language in your agreements and assignments of patent rights.
- Why agreements with your customer are needed. No one wants to scare a customer away, especially your first customer. Your agreements need to be reasonable, but protect your business assets and limit your liability to a reasonable extent.
- Know about open source—and be aware of the risks.
- How to manage multiple owners of your business—put your agreement between you in writing as to ownership, control, who owns intellectual property, buy-outs. For an LLC, this will be an operating agreement and for a corporation it will be a shareholders agreement. Do this early so as to avoid costly disputes later.
Latest posts by Chris Wofford (see all)
- Negotiation: The Power of a Simple Question - December 16, 2016
- The Gender Wage Gap: Causes, Consequences and the Way Forward - December 1, 2016
- Upcoming WebCasts: Women Leaders, Entrepreneurs, & HR Practitioners, It’s On! - September 16, 2016